Monday, April 30, 2012

I Found Your Nose - It Was In My Business

First, I apologize for neglecting this blog. I've had quite a few things going on lately and a wicked sinus infection that caused some vertigo, so my plans for writing here regularly got a bit off track.

There is quite a bit to update you on, but today I am going to tell you about the one thing you might need to expect when your mother or father has siblings.

They WILL get into your business and they WILL think they know more than you.

Case in point:

On Friday, I got into a discussion argument with my uncle. He said some very ugly things to me about how I was taking advantage of my mother and made threats about how he was going to do this and he was going to do that. He admitted he doesn't KNOW her financial situation, but it didn't stop him from having an opinion on it.

The sticking point was (and is) that my parents still own their old house, but moved a few years ago to a new one. My Dad indicated that he wanted me to have the old house, but he passed before we could work on the arrangements on it. I believe that Dad set it up where the house could become mine, but until I research things a bit more, I honestly don't know for certain.

My uncle threatened to come back in a month and a half and put the house up for sale. I haven't had a chance to openly talk to my mother about this, so I don't know what she thinks about his actions, but I can say his words to me both hurt me and made me furious at the same time. He has no clue as to whether my mother has a dollar in the bank or $1,000,000. While I could have told him --- it really isn't any of his business.

Although I have no intention of telling him or even with dealing with him EVER AGAIN - I did realize last night that it is imperative that my mother knows and understands her finances. She kept her head stuck in the sand while my Dad handled everything and she really isn't aware of what she has or how much there is.

Anyway, my advice to you for today would be --- have a clear understanding with your parents about how the money situation is to be handled. My husband had a similar problem with his father and all of his relatives got into the middle of their business as well. Money causes people to become really ugly sometimes and when the ugliness is coming from a family member, it just makes dealing with all the upheaval in your life that you're already dealing with, oh, so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment