Friday, June 29, 2012

There's a need for this

Since my mother and I aren't speaking right now --- I was thinking of putting this blog on  hiatus. I may still take a short break from it while I regroup, but I have decided I am not going to shut it down.

A friend of mine lost her father yesterday. It appears to have been a suicide. It was very unexpected and she is devastated and has no clue what all to do. While my Dad had things fairly organized in terms of making a Will, and life insurance --- her father has left behind a world of chaos. They never discussed anything, she doesn't know if there is life insurance or even a Will.

So, what do you do when a tragedy strikes and no one has discussed anything? I know some of what you should do, but not all of it. I am, however, about to watch someone else go through it.

I may not be able to tell you how to parent an aging parent since I have failed miserably, but I can give some advice on what not to do and more importantnly perhaps point you in the right direction when something does happen or go wrong.

Anyway, I'm going to rethink this a bit and go from there. If you have stumbled onto this looking for advice --- the main thing I can tell you right now is it doesn't always get better, but in time the way you handle it can get easier. Hopefully, soon I will be able to help you do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment